Monday, October 25, 2010

What Are You Saying?

“May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer” – Psalm 19:14
Words are important to me.  Sometimes my hesitancy to speak is mistaken for me being quiet or shy.  I am not shy and it is not that I don’t have anything to say or that I don’t have an opinion or perspective worth sharing.  My respect for the value of words and how they shape our life, has always left me slow to speak.  Unfortunately many people frivolously scatter their words.  Saying whatever they want, when they want, with no regard for the seeds of destruction that are sown.   People will also use words to slander, deceive and manipulate with no care for those that get caught in its web. 
I understand now more than ever that I must say what God has placed in me.  Our culture is permeated with messages of doubt, despair and darkness.  We have to decide if we will be a part of the solution or if we are supporting the problem.  I have not understood why we would waste our time to speak profanity, vulgarity and empty words instead of allowing our words to be purposeful.  If we don't speak life and truth then we are speaking death and lies.
This is only my 2nd blog posting but I want to use the space to share a short piece that I wrote several years ago. 
Listen Up!
My words
Written or spoken
You need to hear
Ink on a page
Or embracing your ear
Silenced, ignored
Disregarded for too long…
Am I to blame?
Weak signal
The reception’s not strong

Hello…Are you there?
Can you hear me…Now?
The time is here
I must be heard
Life or Death
Power in each word
It is my voice
How I use, my choice

Power to heal
Comfort or liberate
Yet our words
Like bricks
We hurl to berate
Someone struggled
To free my voice
Choosing to be silent
It’s my death choice

Today I choose life
My words the key
To unlock fear’s vice
Pressure on my chest
I need a release
Bottled up thoughts
I must profess

Written or spoken
I must let go
Who will hear
Will they care?
I don’t know
Confident, convinced
My words are needed
To save someone’s life
Or my own insights heeded

Listen up!
Because I must speak
Uncertain of whom
My message will reach
My story, will you heart it?
Or read it in a book

I must be selfish
Need to stop the burn
Right now I confess
Survival is my concern
My message, I don’t care
If you choose not to hear
The weight of my words
No longer can I bare

Throbbing in my belly
Resolving the internal fight
Contractions intense
I must bring forth life
Pushing forth before I burst
This is the day, I need relief
Letting go…giving birth
Shhh…I’m about to speak!

How you use your words is really a matter of choice but I encourage you to take a minute and think before you speak.  The Bible lets us know that the power of life and death is in our tongue.  Realize that what you are saying is affecting your life and the life of those connected to you.  Where you are in your life is linked to what you have said.  What you have said is connected to what you believe.  Are your words and conversation acceptable to God?  Has anything you said pushed someone or yourself closer to God or have you disregarded the power of your words.  Has what you have been saying arrested your own development?
I pray today that you will take a minute to think about your faith and your relationship with God.  The only way that God can help us to tame our tongue and value our words is to first deal with our heart.  I think we must discipline ourselves to refrain from saying things we don't need to.  However, we must make sure we are allowing our voice to be heard when we are required to speak life when death is surrounding us.  What we say matters!  Just be sure that you are using it for the right reason.   
From my heart to yours...Rhonda Nicole Curry

2 comments:

  1. This is really great and very true. We all need to realize how powerful words are and not just throw them about. I love the piece - keep writing!

    ReplyDelete